FAQs - Investor Grievance

Registering complaints with NSE

Redressal of complaints by NSE

Investor Protection Fund

Registering complaints with NSE

In case of complaint against a trading member/registered sub-broker, whom do I address the complaint to?

You should address the complaint to the Mumbai Office or the Regional Offices of NSE based on the dealing office where the deals were executed as given below:

State in which Dealing office of the trading member is located Complaint to be addressed to
Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Daman, Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Madhya Pradesh National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
Exchange Plaza, 5th Floor
Plot no. C/1, G Block 
Bandra-Kurla Complex 
Bandra (E) 
Mumbai - 400 051.

Tel No:  6598190 (IGC) / 6598192 (Arbitration)
Fax No: 6598191
Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, Chandigarh, Rajasthan National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
Thapar House, Western Wing 124, Janpath, Janpath Lane Connaught Place 
New Delhi - 110 001.
West Bengal, Bihar, Orissa, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Mirzoram, Manipur, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
Ideal Plaza 11/1, Sarat Bose Road 
Calcutta - 700 020.
Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamilnadu, Andaman & Nicobar, Lakshadeep, Pondicherry National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
7th Floor, Arihant Nitco Park
90, Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai
Chennai - 600 004.

In case of a complaint against company traded on NSE, whom should I address the complaint to ?

All complaints in respect of companies should be addressed to:

Investor Grievance Cell
National Stock Exchange of India Ltd.
Exchange Plaza, 5th Floor
Plot no. C/1, G Block
Bandra-Kurla Complex
Bandra (E)
Mumbai - 400 051.

Tel No: 6598190 (IGC) / 6598192 (Arbitration)
Fax No: 6598191
e-mail address: ignse@nse.co.in


Complaints redressal by NSE

What complaints are taken up for redressal by the IGC?

The IGC takes up complaints for redressal in respect of:

a. Trades executed on the NSE through its NEAT terminal and routed through the NSE trading member or SEBI registered sub-broker of NSE trading member.

b. Trades pertaining to companies traded on the NSE. The investors are therefore required to furnish relevant contract or purchase/sale notes for referring their case to the Investor Grievance Cell.

Is there any specified form for lodging the complaint? What documents do I need to enclose for the same?

Investors are requested to use the following forms:

  • Investor Complaint Form - I (ICF - I) for lodging complaints against trading members/registered sub-brokers and

  • Investor Complaint Form - II (ICF - II) for complaints in respect of companies traded on NSE.
In case of complaints against trading members/registered sub-broker, the following documents need to be enclosed:
  1. Copies of contract or purchase/sale notes
  2. Statement of accounts
  3. Acknowledgement of securities delivered to the TM
  4. Copies of previous correspondence with the TM
  5. Other documents as listed on the reverse of ICF-I
In respect of companies, the following documents should be enclosed:
  1. Copies of contract or purchase/sale notes
  2. Copies of previous correspondence with the company/registrars
  3. Other documents as listed on reverse on ICF-II

What steps are taken by the Investor Grievance Cell to ensure speedy redressal of the complaints by the trading members/sub-brokers and companies?

Complaints against Trading Members/sub-brokers

Complaints received from the investor if accompanied by all the relevant documents as mentioned above are forwarded to the respective TM/sub-broker asking them to provide their comments or for resolving the case. The TMs are expected to file their replies within 21 days.

In case the TM/registered sub-broker disputes the claim of the investor, the response of the TM is forwarded to the investor. If required, both the parties are called for a joint meeting. Most of the complaints are resolved in this manner. In cases where the disputes remain resolved in Investor Grievance Cell, the parties may refer the matter to Arbitration if they so desire.

Complaints against Companies/Shares Transfer Agents & Registrars (STAs).

Complaints received from the investors are forwarded to the respective Companies/STAs for necessary action at their end. In case no response is received from the company/STAs within 21 days, a follow-up by way of letters, telephone calls and personal meetings is undertaken to expedite their replies.

What steps do I take if my shares are lost/misplaced/stolen?

You should immediately write to the company reporting the loss of shares and instruct the company to Stop Transfer the shares. You should comply with the formalities intimated by the company for stop transfer or issue of duplicate share certificates. Simultaneously you should lodge a police complaint/FIR reporting the loss or misplacement.


Investor Protection Fund

What is the Investor Protection Fund (IPF) and when is it used?

The IPF is maintained by the Exchange to take care of investor claims, which may arise out of non-settlement of obligations by the TM for trades executed on the Exchange. The IPF is used to settle claims of such investors whose trading member has been declared a defaulter.

The maximum amount of claim payable from the IPF to the investor (where the TM through whom the investor has dealt is declared a defaulter) is Rs.5 lakhs.